As you shop responsibly, your choices go hand in hand with being environmentally friendly.
You are no doubt hearing a lot about Earth Day and being environmentally friendly these days. However, if you are educating yourself about modern day slavery and changing your shopping habits as a consequence, you are also helping to save the Earth. Most things that are slave-free are also ethically made. Doing your research to make sure you are being kind to people and the earth goes hand in hand.
Tips To Help You Shop Responsibly and Be Environmentally Friendly
- Buy clothing and shoes from resale stores to avoid contributing to slavery in labor.
- Choose Fair Trade or Rainforest Certified products to be sure production standards protect both the environment and laborers.
- Research the companies you buy from so you know their stand on slavery and the environment.
- Seek out upcycled products such as Vibella Jewelry, which you can learn about here.
- Focus on buying locally to diminish your carbon footprint, only after engaging local farmers and artisans in a discussion about the labor they use.
- Use resources like Shop To Stop Slavery to help you choose ethical stores to buy from.
While there are many causes and concerns competing for your attention, you can take comfort in the fact that if you are shopping responsibly, in almost all cases, you are also helping the earth. Happy Earth Day from Shop To Stop Slavery!